This document outlines an account setup and use of the online image reviewing platform, Picter.
- What is Picter?
- Picter simplifies the way you work with images and share them. All of the following functions are carried out through it’s online interface, known as the Picter Workspace
- Create ‘projects’ (portfolios) easily, by simple drag and drop methods to upload images.
Images may be reordered before the upload even finishes.
They can be sorted in sub-groups by creating Collections
- View images in grid or slideshow mode.
Add descriptions (titles, captions, etc.) to images.
- Share project links for immediate access; no logins are required from invited people who do not have a Picter account.
You can even create a space to receive image files.
- Grant editor access to enable others to sort projects into collections, reorder images, edit image descriptions, and make comments.
- Review other collections to generate selection preferences, co-curate, etc.
Automatically sort selections into collections of approved and rejected images
- Present an image gallery experience instead of links to folders and ZIP files.
Easily replace preview/thumbnail images with full resolution originals, even as TIFFs.
Reduce upload wait times by only delivering full resolution on final selections.
- Need more information about Picter?
- Create an account
- An account can be created in one of two ways: via a Team Plan (by invitation only), or individually by going to Picter’s signup page, from where one can get a free trial and/or create a discounted student account. Invitations for the team plan are generated by a faculty member, for students enrolled in an Art class. Instructions are sent by email to each person’s Sewanee email address. If you have an invite, go ahead and create an account, then come back to this page.
- Once you login, you will arrive at the landing page called ‘Workspace’. Click ‘New project’. Give it a name by clicking on ‘Untitled project’
- Multiple portfolios may be created
- Navigate back to the Workspace by clicking on letter icon to the left of the project title (usually the first letter of your account name)
- Uploading files
- Drag several image files from your desktop directly onto the ‘Add files’ panel. This panel also lists all acceptable formats.
- A ‘Project’ is a portfolio, effectively.
- Files from with a project can be further grouped into one or more ‘Collections’.
- Projects and Collections can be assembled with their own sequences, and shared in different ways.
- Files may be resequenced by dragging them around in the browser window
- A portfolio, or a file, may be allocated title and commentary text by clicking on the encircled ‘i’ icon at each of those levels.
- Invite others to view and comment on your work by clicking on the ‘Share’ button. Other registered users of the same Workspace (e.g. the class) may be given full access to your work, or with restrictions. All of this may be defined by the sub-panels of the ‘Share’ menu. Guests may be invited to new and comment, or a URL may be copied to either email or post online. Guests do not need to create a Picter account. The sharing URL may be revoked at any time by you.
- Others may add comments to your work, depending on the way you configured sharing and sent out invitations.
- Updating files
- Different versions of an image may easily be updated by clicking on the (vertical ellipsis) three dots and selecting ‘Update file’